Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Songs my Mother taught me # 6

Bicarbonate of soda, baking soda, (Natron)

" How do I use thee?
I can`t count the ways…
You scrub my tub, pre-soak my clothes
Freshen my fridge, won`t scratch stoves;
Eat odors in sneakers and diaper pails
Soothe bites and burns to stop kids` wails.
All this without harming our earth,
You give far more than my money`s worth." 

- Jane Fraser, Picton, Canada

The best waffles are made with baking soda, flour, sugar and sour cream.
My mother's recipe.

2 cups of thick sour cream
1/2 cup of sugar
A pinch of vanilla
2 eggs
A hint ( in Norwegian a knife's point) of salt
2 -3 table spoons of melted butter
Flour or spelt to make the batter thick enough, I'd say 3 or 4 cups
1 tea spoon of baking soda.
Let the  batter rest for 30 minutes so that the baking soda may work. 
If the batter is too thick add some lukewarm water, not milk.

The first thing my Mom did when recovering after her first brain stroke was making me waffles. She knew, it's the one thing I can't resist.

My Mom taught me to use baking soda (Natron) to get whiter teeth.
Just yesterday I found the same advice on the Internet.
Too much stomach acid is neutralized by baking soda.
It helps faster, more efficient and has little side effects  .
The expensive ones Gunnar were prescribed were not half as good, and had severe side effects.

My Mom in her last weeks on earth would over and over again ask for Natron for her gastritis. They gave her pills with none effect whatsoever. I bought a package of baking soda. The pains vanished.
My Mom had used baking soda for years and years. Our doctor says the salt in bicarbonate may bind water in the body. My Mom never had a problem with that. 

ME patients often have a slow digestion. Baking soda helps.
Why is it not more often recommended by doctors? My suggestion is, it is probably too cheap for the pharmacy giants.

Just now, when trying to find a good answer to Laureen, I found this Wikipedia article. Many pros and a few cons.
Read it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

8 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

Your mother was a wise woman....and a good cook, it seems. :)

Felisol said...

You are right; she was both.
She also was a good teacher. Taught Serina to make waffles and me to knit, crouch and much more.

Unknown said...

I will use your family recipe to make waffles this weekend. Thanks! I never knew baking soda was so usefulness a medication. How do you take it - mixed in water, sprinkled on food???

Felisol said...

Dear Laureen. Baking soda should be taken dissolved in a glass of water. If you use it to brush your teeth you can sprinkle baking soda on your tooth brush.
I link to this Wikipedia article so that you can read the many pros and the few cons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate
Good luck.

Crown of Beauty said...

Felisol, your mother was an amazing woman. She taught you well, and what you learned from her you pass on to Serina, and some of it, to us your friends.

Baking soda is good. It is also a good deodorant, instead of using anti perspirant which has been discovered to be a possible cause for breast cancer.

I love waffles. I will use your mother's recipe. In fact I am going to the grocery in a while to buy the ingredients, and also a good waffle iron.

Oh, and I can make my own sour cream from the milk kefir grains.

Also, it has been said that the children if they take the lessons they learned from their parents, are even better. I encourage you, dear friend.

Much love
Lidia

Mrs. Mac said...

I use it as an ingredient in homemade deodorant .. along with organic corn starch, refined coconut (non scented) oil. And, of course, for cleaning toilets, bathtubs and sinks with a drop of liquid dish soap. We buy it in a VERY LARGE bag weighing over 10 pounds. Your mother's recipe looks rather good. Will have to remember to buy sour cream.

Debbie Petras said...

So many uses for baking soda! I also use it in my Norwegian waffles. I loved the photo of your mom making waffles. I'm sure that's a sweet memory for you. I see the heart shaped waffles. That's how I make mine too. You see, us American Norwegians have to keep up the traditions. I for one love to do so.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Trish said...

I am going to use your sweet Mother's recipe for waffles. My grandbabies ask for them often, when they stay overnight.
My Mama and Daddy were big believers in the use of baking soda...I love how it makes my stainless steel sing sparkle!
Love,
trish