Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Highly treasured rubbish

For years I thought my beloved dinner plate set from my earliest childhood had been thrown away. 
As far as I can remember this was my special set. The deep plate for porridge and the time I only used a spoon to eat. The flat came later, when I was able to use a fork and even knife and fork together.
Some development for a toddler. 



Image my joy and surprise as I, two years after my mother went to Heaven, was about to empty and clean up my mother's pantry in the basement. The shelves are almost 1 meter deep, and against the wall on the highest shelf stood the two pieces of my dinner set.
I cried from joy and good memories.My mother had taken care of my "heirlooms" and hidden them so that no one could throw them away.
They are worn, torn and rubbish to anyone but me. 

The set is produced in Norway. There were actually three stoneware factories in my home county. Now they're all close and the rest of the production shipped out to second class products in China. Even Wedgwood has done that. When I see these plates, I remember a happy family benched around the dinner table, sharing stories about how the day had been. I would complaint that the food was too hot. My Mom would open the window and say, "Food, food, get cold, so Elise can eat you." It worked every time.

I guess I haven't found much rubbish along my hunt, but heaps of good memories. Thanks for setting me off on this hunt, Roan.

I link with Rubbish with Roan. Visit her for more interesting finds.

 http://rubbishbyroan.blogspot.no/

10 comments:

Tom said...

I'm sorry that you now get stuff from China, I guess we are all in the same leaky boat! Tom The Backroads Traveller

A Colorful World said...

Oh, this touched me! How sweet that you still have your treasured, special set and all the memories it brings with it. What a wonderful story!

Sola Scriptura said...

What a sweet treasure! I'm so happy you found these dishes that have so many happy memories for you. Thanks for sharing such a lovely memory.

Roan said...

What a wonderful find and memory. I enjoyed reading your post. So many things disappear over the years. I'm glad your mother saved these for you.

Debbie Petras said...

Oh Felisol, how touching this is! To find hidden treasure when cleaning out your precious mom's place. I'm sure it was a struggle to finally determine to do that but look how our amazing Lord blessed you. I am crying with joy for you dear friend.

Love you,
Debbie

Saija said...

God was giving you a hug, sent from someone special in heaven ... i'm teary for you!

Linda said...

This is such a beautiful and sweet treasure!

Mrs. Mac said...

Wonderful find ... your mother's gift post heaven to her little girl. Now that's just like her!

Jada's Gigi said...

What a treasure! I am so happy you found them. They make me smile. I too hate that so many things are now made in China...Ugh...I avoid buying when ever I can!

David C Brown said...

I guess my bunnikin plates disappeared a long time ago! We have our childrens' still.

Grace be with you!