Thursday, March 10, 2011
ME TOTAL CRASH COURSE
I have had this weird and yet not fully explored or treatable illness called ME for 22 years. It took the doctors, 25 specialists, 9 years to tag me with that specific label, and I guess it's as good as it gets.
Sometimes I wish I could walk around like Steve E and say, "Hey, I'm Felisol and I'm an ME."
The problem is, since there is no definite cure or rather; no cure at all, ME people are the targets of every snake oil salesperson in the world.
I have no account of the amount of money I have spent on so called alternative treatments.
Last weekend this self established Guru Ms. S, made 29 hope seekers pay 1500 solid NOK to attend a 10 hours course containing nothing new at all. She performed a T'ai Chi sequence like a lousy ballet, and luckily didn't try to teach any of the participants her fake version of the honorable Chinese combat sport.
She introduced Qigong as if it was her own invention, and of course I got over-trained, even if I did practice the movements for some years, before I found out it was too tough for me. I am a born overachiever and don't have a built in brake button.
Finally she put in a Feldenkrais crawling sequence. Been there, still practicing.
Why do I bother writing about this?
1. Because I feel cheated and angry on behalf of all the snake oil buyers of the world.
2. Because some arrogant lady has the incredible boldness to "steal" old techniques and sell them as her own research and invention.
3. Because I also bought her book, as did most of the participants.
4. Because I'd love to own the ancient Italian monastery where one can attend a 20 hours course for 20 000 NOK.
5. Because I've been crashed, bedridden since the course ended, swallowing antibiotics by the score against several old inflammations which have popped up again.
We were warned that might happen. "Just a sign that the exercises are working."
I guess I'm not cut out to be a disciple or a milking cow.
"The proof is in the pudding," the English saying goes.