Monday, November 14, 2011

AUTUMN DELIGHTS



Our mispel hedge in the front yard doesn't care if it's mid November.
The red berries are brightening my days both indoors and out doors. They look so wonderful, but I doubt that they're edible.
Wouldn't it have been wonderful if they were??
I could have filled my freezer in no time.

As it is, I use them for decoration. They need no water and a little twig makes the world of a difference on our kitchen table.
Great joy # two this week, when I received my Mazawattee tea box, which I ordered in a second hand internet shop. "Old Folks at home" is the title. My grandmother used to have a similar box filled with wonderfully coloured and shaped buttons. When I got too restless for her taste, she would hand me the box to play with and also tell about the items in the box. A pearl in my memory book. I have placed it in front of my couvert. Just seeing it, brings sun into my heart.

This Carl Larsson girl, modelled after his paintings, is also having a good time on our kitchen table between mispel berries, foliage, pine cones and pebbles brought home from various hikes.
Heaps of delights assembled on a tin tray.


Autumn in the Garden by Henry Van Dyke
When the frosty kiss of Autumn in the dark
Makes its mark
On the flowers, and the misty morning grieves
Over fallen leaves;
Then my olden garden, where the golden soil
Through the toil
Of a hundred years is mellow, rich, and deep,
Whispers in its sleep.

'Mid the crumpled beds of marigold and phlox,
Where the box
Borders with its glossy green the ancient walks,
There's a voice that talks
Of the human hopes that bloomed and withered here
Year by year,--
Dreams of joy, that brightened all the labouring hours,
Fading as the flowers.

Yet the whispered story does not deepen grief;
But relief
For the loneliness of sorrow seems to flow
From the Long-Ago,
When I think of other lives that learned, like mine,
To resign,
And remember that the sadness of the fall
Comes alike to all.

What regrets, what longings for the lost were theirs!
And what prayers
For the silent strength that nerves us to endure
Things we cannot cure!
Pacing up and down the garden where they paced,
I have traced
All their well-worn paths of patience, till I find
Comfort in my mind.

Faint and far away their ancient griefs appear:
Yet how near
Is the tender voice, the careworn, kindly face,
Of the human race!
Let us walk together in the garden, dearest heart,
Not apart!
They who know the sorrows other lives have known
Never walk alone.

Visit teach Mary for more Ruby Tuesdays here

12 comments:

Carletta said...

The little girl figurine is precious! She does look lovely and content among the treasures.

Ralph said...

We get those berries all over, and even the birds don't bother. However, they are lovely berries to admire still when the snow is on the ground...

Non-electronic toys seem a disappointment these days to modern youth. To have buttons of many colors is far more interesting to a small child, sorting and counting more interesting - stimulating the mind...

The doll is neat, as she offers a Christmas to arrive soon, as she sits within the red holiday and autumn items. Lovely indeed!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

berry for decoration, that nice. I am not daring, and I don't dare to try them if they are edible.

Kim, USA said...

That looks like a rose hips! ^_^

Roses

steveroni said...

"...Carl Larsson girl, on our kitchen table between mispel berries, foliage, pine cones and pebbles..."

Any room left for food?--grin! Seriously, your dining table is berry, berry pretty. I like!

Thanks for visiting my blog--it should be named Rip Van Winkle...

The Van Dyke poem reminds me of the several cemeteries I visit here, just to sit and 'not think' (meditate?). I 'hear' those whisperings, and witness wherever my head wishes to travel.

PEACE!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Very pretty!

My Ruby Tuesday post, come and see.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Red berries are indeed soul-brighteners, Felisol! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your kind comment.

DITTY IN RED

Just a pinch of scarlet
To liven up the place;
Just a hint of ruby
Brushed upon your face;
Just a bit of cherry
Dancing round your toes;
Just some sanguine colors—
That’s the way it goes!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Autumn’s rubies here and here

Robin said...

Such beautiful, festive reds, it feels like a holiday already!

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography on etsy and Society6 and bring home something beautiful today!

Amrita said...

All your treasures are lovely specially the berries, so bright and shiney.

Enjoy the beauty around you Felisol. You are drawn towards it.

Felisol said...

Hugs and more hugs to you, Amrita.
I AM drawn to beauty; be it only a candle or a twig with berries on.
It felt good when you put words to feelings I wasn't aware of.
I am however not drawn to money, so most of my valuable experiences are visiting museums, galleries, churches and nature itself.

Hmm. Being drawn to beauty, I like that phrase.

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

This is a very beautiful post! I love the berries , very cheerful , the tea box and the memories it brought to you , the Carl Larrson girl, and then the lovely poem !
Blessings :)

Roan said...

Love the figurine. My grandmother had a tin box full of buttons, which my mother got after grandma passed away. Now I have it. I still like looking at the buttons.