Monday, April 04, 2011

Ruby ode to the spring

View from our London hotel window to the backyard.
I admire the optimistic flowers praising the joy of spring to tenant and God only.

Carl Sandburg (1920)
clr gifThe Spring

1

The down drop of the blackbird,
The wing catch of arrested flight,
The stop midway and then off: off for triangles, circles, loops of new hieroglyphs—
This is April’s way: a woman:
“O yes, I’m here again and your heart
knows I was coming.”

2

White pigeons rush at the sun,
A marathon of wing feats is on:
“Who most loves danger? Who most loves wings? Who somersaults for God’s sake in the name of wing power in the sun and blue on an April Thursday.”
So ten winged heads, ten winged feet, race their white forms over Elmhurst.
They go fast: once the ten together were a feather of foam bubble, a chrysanthemum whirl speaking to silver and azure.

3

The child is on my shoulders.
In the prairie moonlight the child’s legs hang over my shoulders.
She sits on my neck and I hear her calling me a good horse.
She slides down—and into the moon silver of a prairie stream
She throws a stone and laughs at the clug-clug.

Visit teach Mary for more Ruby Tuesdays here

8 comments:

Crown of Beauty said...

The flowers are beautiful and give hope and life to the drab surroundings.

I love spring... as the name implies, it "springs" on us, and takes us by surprise.



Love
Lidj

Robin said...

So lovely, and yes, nicely optimistic too.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Leora said...

Love the textures in this long and optimistic photo.

"Who somersaults for God’s sake in the name of wing power in the sun and blue on an April Thursday" - wow.

Debbie Petras said...

I actually love the old buildings of London. Yes, they may be drab but I always wonder about the history and what has gone on in those buildings. But the flower pot added a hint of spring and loveliness to the scene. Yes, spring is coming. It already seems like summer though in Phoenix, AZ. LOL.

Much love to you,
Debbie

Kai Rui said...

cute photo...love your shot...spring is really the most love season of the year..visiting from Ruby Tuesday..followed you, hope you'll follow me back..

would you mind visiting my entry:
http://lovingoutliving.blogspot.com/2011/04/chinese-new-year.html

Carletta said...

They look a little forlorn and lonely;but with warm temps and sunny days a lushness will fill the tray and beauty will abound in this little corner.
Nice shot!

Amrita said...

Your room had a colorful view.
I like th e brickwork.

Wish you the joy an d warmth of spring Felisol

Hope you are feeling better

John Cowart said...

Hi Felisol,
Your photo captures beauty against a bleak brick wall--Good vision.
Happy Spring.
John